SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gaining experience from being crew...
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Gaining experience from being crew...

Welcome to sailnet.

It looks like you have some experience, so that is a good start. Crewing for others is not for everyone. Some captains/owners are better than others. If you leave your ego behind, work hard, and act like a sponge to adsorb all the do's and don'ts in each trip. You learn much faster than having your own boat and go more places than you own your boat.

The nice thing being a crew is you learn the good things from the captain or others, and also learn their mistake they made at no cost from you. This is priceless. Besides when you establish among others, captains/owner are more than willing to pay you to sail with them.

In addition, you can sail all different boats in all combinations of equipment. What works and what doesn't. One more thing that it is not too obvious is learn how to be a leader. Most captains does not know how to be a leader, some know how to sail very well. But they are very poor leader, unable to form a strong team on the boat. You can learn how to draw the best from your team. The leadership you learned and practiced will propel you in your career for the rest of your life.

I have been crewing for others for a few years. It has been very rewarding and have formed a strong bond with other great sailors around the world. So I encourage you to look into this as an alternative.

But if you need to name your own boat, others must you a captain, and can't take a command/order from anyone, crewing in other's boat is not for you.

Buying a boat before you know how to sail is just like putting a cart before the horse. Or just like a teenage, I like it, I love it, I need it, I want it. I want it NOW. I mean NOW. LOL.

There is a beautiful ocean out there.

Be wise, and good luck.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook