SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sails, brands, quality, price.
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: New sails, brands, quality, price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
As the next sail I need to replace is my mainsail I have been looking carefully at different sail makers. I have discovered that not only do the prices and quality vary considerably, the differences in price do not always follow the differences in quality. Yes if you pay an exorbitant amount for a sail you will probably get a really good sail.....but you can get a really good sail at a low price or a poor quality sail for the same amount (or even more). I have found a number of sailmakers that would make me a new sail for about the same price. Sobstad (both Dacron and laminate), Kelly-Hanson and Mack sails both make decent sails and are about the least expensive (actually they guarantee it), there are a few others I have researched.......basically I can expect to pay between $2000-$2500 (including laminate sails) for my boat. Because of the importance of the mainsail being cut right and how long it will be with the boat, this is one sail you should not cut corners on. One thing I stress is to have a good sailmaker measure all of the particulars of your boat, every boat has slight differences. Sort of like an off the rack suit compared to one tailored specifically for you, "off the rack sails" even on a production boat, never fit as well as a sail made specifically to your boat for your sailing needs.
Thanks for sharing. Which one did you actually use? Were they timely with their delivery, ? Did they come to your boat and make adjustments?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook