SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where do you like to cruise?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Where do you like to cruise?

For me the mix of small towns and wilderness are what make the Pacific Northwest such a great place to travel. I love being able to go for good hikes with no traffic on one day, seeing interesting wildlife on the water the next day, and a couple of days later be eating a nice meal in a good restaurant in a fun town.

My only problem with cruising in the Pacific NW is that everyone else has the same idea and it can be hard to find those really quite anchorages. Especially since a small but loud percentage of cruisers think that running a genset, buzzing around in a motorized dinghy, or otherwise being loud are appropriate ways to enjoy wilderness.

I'd rather "cruise" urban areas by bicycle. It's a mode of transportation that works very well in urban areas and lets you see a lot more than you can see from the water.

If you are interested in cruising charming small towns then you should spend some more time in the South Puget Sound. Poulsbo, Gig Harbor, Eagle Harbor, Kingston, Port Gamble, La Conner, Quartermaster Harbor, Olympia, and other options that I'm forgetting provide that experience. Many of those are within a days cruise of Seattle and are common destinations for me.

Last edited by Alex W; 06-25-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook