SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I join the " no, don't wear one unless the boat is sinking" group.

I sailed firstly because I wanted to be outside, in the sun, relaxing with my friends and family. With a life jacket on, no matter what it's form, I feel trussed up ready for a disaster to come along. I get to wondering about tempting fate. And it makes for seriously funny tan lines.

As far as the "inevitable horrible end" coming along, it sure takes it's time, I've been actively sailing for 40 odd years and have never gone over the side yet and have never had any form of incident where I thought "Man, I wish I was wearing a life jacket". Harness yes, life jacket, never.

I'm not going to suggest that folks who wear life jackets on sunny, 12 - 15 knot, flat-sea days are sissies, I just watch their boats going by with an orange hue emanating from the cockpit and I think "He must have a coast guard official or maybe the vicar on board"

To each his own.
Pretty much my thoughts, exactly... Can't say as I recall the last time I had one on, it may have been for the photo op below...

I ALWAYS carry a full-on Mae West when going anywhere in my tender, however... Makes for a very nice seat cushion... (grin)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook