SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Setting Woes
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Anchor Setting Woes

Beleive or not the Chesapeake has many many varied varieties of bottoms.
For instance the Chester River has at least three. Greys Inn Creek is hard clay under small amount of mud, Corsica is dark black mud, Cackaway on Lankford Creek can have leaves and grass further back. All within 3 miles of each other.

This demonstrates the need for a good all round anchor. Ground tackle is very important in many ways especially in an emergency when you don't want to worry if it will set and hold. Another important consideration is what happens if the anchor pulls out. Will it reset immediately. Any anchor can pull out.

I would suggest on of the two new generation anchors Roncna ( we have) or Manson Supreme. We have never had an issue setting it, and 98% first time.
What size boat?

In terms of your technique, your first steps seem correct, just remember what 5 means. You add the depth of the water and take the distance from the water to your roller ( basically freeboard) and then take it times 5. My boat has 7 foot freeboard at bow, so in 8 feet of water it's 7+8 = 15 ft X 5 ( scope)= 75 ft of rode. In your case 30 ft or chain + 45 ft of line. I also prefer 7:1 when I can or in wind over 10.

After allowing the anchor to hit the bottom, wife puts the boat in reverse at idle and after the chain is deployed and under the water, I would cleat the rode and let it grow taunt. After turn raise the RPM of the engine in reverse some and set the flukes of the anchor. Then let out the rest of the rode. All done with hand signals.

Having a good anchor is important to safety as well as peace of mind when sleeping and when the wind pipes up. No anchor s good in all conditions, but some are ( in most ) like the new generation ones. Small price to pay.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_sailor View Post
The Admiral and I have had some issues getting our anchor to set recently needing several tries to get it done.

We are in the Chesapeake (read: mud) and use a Danforth as our primary. 30 ft of chain and usually at least 5:1 scope

I am on the anchor and the wife is driving. General process is approach drop spot, coast to stop into wind, drop anchor and enough chain to hit bottom plus extra while boat begins to drift in reverse. Typically avoid piling chain on top of anchor.

Trying to narrow down the problem (procedure, anchor drop, driving, anchor type/condition). Would like to set it on one attempt and feel comfortable anchoring in tight quarters. Also, would like to reduce the discussions between anchor person and helms-lady and not be those people who have attempt a set 4 times.

Once set we usually back down under throttle and are good to go.

Advice welcome

Josh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
cman (08-05-2013)