SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prototype-Video: Kite-Scooter to become fastest sail craft ever?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013

kibokit is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Prototype-Video: Kite-Scooter to become fastest sail craft ever?

Following video is of a home made prototype, which performance-wise is yet far away from the supposed potential. I believe, however, that by putting sufficient R&D into it, the concept (which, if only launch/retrieval systems for big enough kites were available, also could be scaled up and turn any motor yacht into a high performance sail craft) could be turned into the fastest sail craft ever, not in absolute terms challenging the Sailrockets speed record obviously, but among viable sail craft of similar size competing on a race course.

Main reason for my certainly daring claim is the fact that sail/kite- and (hydro-)foil-generated forces in my kite-scooter are aligned, which leaves the sail craft completely free of sail induced heel, which actually is the main performance limiting factor of any conventional sailcraft (even incl. kite boards). This in turn allows for giant sail area(in my case 21sqm on a 35kg/2,80m boat), limited only by the (hydro-)foils capacity rather than ballast and lever arm.
The only other notable sail craft, as to my knowledge, to be free of sail induced heel, is the Vestas Sailrocket, which certainly supports my claim.
Very interested in opinions about my idea in general, its viability as a small pleasure sail craft and about my strong claim regarding its performance potential.

Ingo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg youtube-thumb4s.jpg (62.2 KB, 105 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook