SailNet Community - View Single Post - Know the rules!
Thread: Know the rules!
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013

andrewoliv is on a distinguished road
Know the rules!

Got cut off twice this past weekend by "sailors" not knowing the rules of right of way.

The first instance: I am close hauled on a starboard tack being approached by a 40+ Hinckley on a port tack. The captain of the Hinckley was looking right at us and when it became apparent he wasn't going to alter course. I finally came downwind and went behind him. I had some choice words for him as I went by, too bad his family was on board with him. Wife was reading a paper on the bow so I don't think they wanted to be bothered.

The second instance: I am under power being approached by a 40+ foot Beneteau from the port side also under power. I have the right of way but the Benneteau didn't seem to know that or care. Most "sailors" don't know this rule so we aimed for the Beneteau's stern. (I question the seafaring knowledge of anyone who buys a French production boat anyway)

Not only does the French boat not give way. But slows and drops anchor right in front of us, all the while the captain at the bow watching us and his admiral at the helm also watching us.

If your going to make a serious investment in a 40+ sailboat. Take a class!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook