SailNet Community - View Single Post - charts
Thread: charts
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Man, you guys underestimate some sailors out there. Paper charts aren't as uncommon as you think. The poster who said nobody uses them? Not true at all. I also don't agree with your logic that we have to embrace all new technology. If we did, wouldn't we not be sailing at all? I'm going to Canada tomorrow. Wouldn't technology tell Me I don't need sails and a slow boat when I could get a powerboat and be there already? Paper charts are far more fun for me. Maybe someday I will change...
Well, that day will likely come when you eventually make the switch over to power... (grin)

In my opinion, the mindset that results from reliance on this technology exclusively for route planning and navigating underway is FAR more conducive to cruising under power, as opposed to under sail... An undue preoccupation with straightline, (way)point to (way)point piloting is the result, and the lazy man's method of chartplotter/autopilot interfaced 'piloting' is often employed... There is no stranger or more amusing reaction than that of a 'sailor' who begins to freak out when his Cross-Track Error from the dotted line on the screen begins to exceed a few hundred feet... One can only imagine how many times sails have been furled, and the Iron Genoa fired up, solely due to the inability to sail a course within a few degrees of a plotted rhumb line. Or, when some take it all to the next level of dependence upon such route planning, and actually do something as dumb as attempting to cross the Florida Straits from Miami, by interfacing their autopilot to a waypoint off Bimini....

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-26-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook