SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Setting Woes
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor Setting Woes

Lots of good advice. To emphasize a couple points:

Danforth is fine for the Chesapeake. We anchored for years with one all over the Bay with no issues. And without all chain. On boats ranging from 22-34'. Yes the new gen anchors are great. Even better with all chain rode. (Yes I do sleep better now). But technique is the key for all anchoring situations. Develop yours and follow it.

Couple things from our practice:
- develop a hand signal system that works for you. We never have to holler back and forth
- put the anchor gently on the bottom with a slight amount of aft way on. Don't let the anchor touch while moving fwd or it will lay down wrong and it's uphill from there
- pull gently initially while at btwn 3 and 5:1 - your choice and some bit of feel involved. Goal is to get the danforth diving into the mud. Once pointed that way, it'll tend to stay that way.
- 5:1 for day, 7:1 for overnight, 10:1 for bad conditions (wind, current, shifts, bottom, etc) - Don't forget water to bow distance. We have scope table taped on the door of the anchor locker. I don't want either or us to screw up our math if we're tired.
- Once scope is out to what you want, pull hard while lining up a range off the beam. I never trust instruments to tell me I'm set. I want to see a range not change
- sit back, relax, and watch your range marks for awhile to make sure.
- ask others in the anchorage how much scope they have out.
- if something isn't comfortable, it's not right. That odd feeling should never be ignored.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to paperbird For This Useful Post:
cman (08-05-2013)