SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
Jeff,

That makes a lot of sense from an engineering perspective ( I am one...).

The interesting thing is that a lot of high latitude sailors seem to favor steel or aluminum, why is that ? iced in situation potential of crushing hull?
Thank you for the supportive comment. I am not sure why high latitude sailors would prefer aluminum, but steel does have advantages in that application such as its high abrasion resistance and the ability to make repairs even in a cold climate.

You can achieve better impact resistance with a kevlar-vinylester laminate, and a pretty high abrasion resistance, but if you breech the skin, I am not sure how you would make a reliable repair without heating the area up to a temperature in the 40F range.

The other thing is that many of the high latitude boats are pretty big boats. At some point as boats get bigger (probably something in excess of 40 or so feet), steel's higher unit strength does come into play and steel begins to become a more competitive choice.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook