SailNet Community - View Single Post - Practical Sailor has deaf ears
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
re: Practical Sailor has deaf ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_amcdn View Post
In the old, pre-Internet, pre-Arpanet days I actually had binders full of PS. They were the only magazine that came 3-holed punched to encourage saving. I too have recently decided to blow them off. I got 2 issues in the mail over the last year and just got my second renewal notice. I will not even take to time to let them know that I don't want them anymore because they have become such a PITA to contact.

I also thought that I was going to have access to online issues. If that ever happened I will be damned if I can find any link taking me to where they are archived.

PS may have good research methods but their customer service and marketing sucks. I don't think they care.

Isn't some poster here on Sailnet a big time PS testor?
I subscribed for a year several years ago when they had a deal for around $10. I have thought that I might subscribe again, and I think there including "full access" to the past issues is what I want. I understand they used to do quite good boat reviews and that might be helpful in my search. Your experience is making me think twice.

I also am not sure how many issues they put out in a year. They have a deal now for a years subscription and it lists 7 issues, but if you opt for the digital format it is 12 issues?!? not sure what is up with that. And there web page looks to have been designed 20 years ago. Not that I think it needs to be pretty, but there are a bunch of drop down menus where it is not helpful.

I really like Good Old Boat but I normally get it at the local West Marine, I understand I would save a few dollars by subscribing, but it gives me a reason to head to the marine supply. (remember I am still boat shopping so I don't yet have a NEED to go there yet)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook