SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

I found a vendor on eBay who sells cut-offs from large rolls of Sunbrella. I got the tan (wheat) Sunbrella I wanted for $8/yard. So, I'm in the process of making a dodger and bimini for the boat (frames were already there when I bouth the boat), and have some "extra" material, so I decided to do lifeline/pushpit covers. These are pool noodles that have been slit to fit over the rail, then cut to length. The ends have polyester cord sewn in so I can pull them closed (thus hiding the pool noodles) and there is velcro along the entire length of each pad. The pool noodles were $1 each at the dollar store, and I think I used 6 of those ($6). I used somewhere between 1 and 2 yards of material, so we'll call it $16. The Velcro was bought on eBay (it's probably not name-brand Velcro) for about $10 (including shipping), and I used good thread that I got from Sailrite ($9 for the entire spool, which I'm using for the other projects, too). So, for about $40, I have custom-made pads that go all around the cockpit. They make it MUCH more comfortable to lean against the rail than before.

I also made the sail cover as part of this process. That was about 5 yards of material ($40) plus twist-lock connectors ($15) and 2" wide velcro ($10) plus some heavy duty vinyl for chaff protection inside the cover ($15 remnant at Joanne's). So, for about $80, I have a custom-made sail cover.

I need to put something at the aft end of the cover to keep it tighter so it looks nicer...
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook