SailNet Community - View Single Post - 35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: 35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I did not know that a rigging company that rigs sailboats can be licensed. I did an internet search and finding nothing that indicates boat riggers can be licensed. Can you provide a link that shows how it is done or a link to a licensed rigger? I do not think even Brian Toss is licensed.
Regards
You don't get a "rigging" lisence. You get a business lisence. In order to do lisensed business as a rigger you need insurance. In order to get insured you need to prove you are worth the risk to the company. It's like when I got my charter boat insurance. I had to prove I was insurable. You can how ever become a surveyor, which includes rigging fatigue in it's carriculum. Also, in my current feild, you get a rigging certification in order to be qauilifed to work the decks of commercial tugs and anchor handlers. This rigging includes crane operation and the like. Sail boat rigging, standing and running, are speacialized. This skill is realy only aquired through working at a rig shop. Florida Hydraulic and rigging, Sailing Services in Miami, places like that. I was trained by a guy who learned first from puting together and flying Heliocopters. I then worked on a traditonally rigged tall ship, and then was subsequently hired by a sail boat rigger. It all boils down, in regards to standing rigging, terminal end's and wire. We say 15 years on wire and it depends on the terminal end. If it's sta-lock, than almost forever, and if it's rotory swage, about the same as wire. To split the difference cost wise we usually suggest swage on top and sta-lock on the bottom. I went sta-lock top and bottom on mine. My 1x19 wire is 15 years old and about ready to change out. I just sailed to Honduras from Fla. and kept my eye on the wire, checking for broken strands. But I digress as usual. Check a riggers reputation, and work history. His insurance and business lisence, and then decide in talking to him weather or not you deam him Professional or not for your self.