SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good Blue Water / Shallow Water Compromise
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Good Blue Water / Shallow Water Compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. How about an Alberg 30? Def transatlantic capable when I am :-), only a 4.25 draft, and they are very popular in the Chesapeake. There are nice examples locally for under $10k. I'm trying to avoid bigger is better and I think it would suit my needs. It may also give you a clue about my budget :-D Also, I hope to buy a slip in Baltimore at some point and a 30ft slip is significantly cheaper than a 40 ft one.
If you're thinking along those lines, I'd suggest also looking at some of the boats built by Allied... The Seawind was the first-ever fiberglass boat to complete a circumnavigation, and Robin Lee Graham finished up his voyage on a Luders 33...

Here's one listed over in Rock Hall:

1969 Allied Luders Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Allieds were built like the proverbial brick sh_t house, and the designs of Thomas Gilmer make wonderful sea boats... Probably considerably more roomy than the typically narrow Alberg designs, as well...

They're definitely a Plain Jane sort of boat, nothing fancy, but robust, and pleasing to the eye in the traditional sense... Probably about as much bang for the buck as anything comparable out there...

The Allied Owners Group is pretty active, and these folks are very devoted to the brand...

Allied Boat Company

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook