SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I built ULLR in Comox BC in the early 80s. The owners worked part time on her, evenings and weekends. The steel cost $3800 back then and scrap stainless was $1 a pound. I have no records of what else they spent on her .

One is the wine coloured 36 in the photos you posted, built for $35,000, 5 years ago, Winston Bushnells boat, beautifully finished inside and out. It is his his 4th offshore boat and his 3rd brentboat. It is at Newcastel Marina in Nanaimo. I am at the opposite end of Georgia Strait, retired, and where the swimin gets good, and I have no intention of giving it up to sail to a noisy, hostile, bureautcrat ridden city, to appease someone who thinks I am having too much fun( which I am).

Many, including myself, pay far less attention to the odd rock ,than we would in a fragile plastic or wooden boat, which couldn't survive a collision with a rock, without serious hull dammage. We dont sail in rockpiles and uncharted waters, in stark fear. If we hit a rock we shrug and carry on, no wories.. Some have hit rocks at three knots some at 6 or more and everything in between, with no real damage except a tiny paint chip.
You mean Dove IV was built 5 years ago for $35K...

...despite the fact that it's listed as a 2002?

On the year discrepancy, I'll take that to mean that Bushnell started the boat in 2002, and it took them 6 years to finish it. Otherwise, your numbers are pretty crappy.

On the price, if you're trying to convince the poor 99% cruiser that this is what they can get for $35K all-in, I call BS (and that doesn't stand for Brent Swain). SSB, Radar, Chartplotter, Fab All Furnace, 35 hp Isuzu...etc. A fine list of yachting absurdities.

So are these guys lying about the year of the boat and pumping the price up to twice its actual value? How is that fair to the 99%-er? You have some 'splainin' to do!

Dude, please. I'm starting to think you've hit plenty of odd rocks - with more than a tiny paint chip to show for it.

I think Bob was looking for this...

Honestly, Brent, I'm begging you - just be straight up with people. Stop trying to make everything you do look like the be-all in yachting. You do some very cool things. I mean that. But you completely dump all over it with your obviously bs-laden claims.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-27-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook