SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good location to load/unload passengers from SF?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road
Good location to load/unload passengers from SF?

I'm looking for a place to load and unload passengers in SF from my 27' sailboat, 4ft draft. I don't have a tender. I'm not looking for anything long-term; just a sheltered place where I can tie up for a few minutes, that's safe and easy for people and supplies to get on and off, and ideally a place with nearby parking. Also, ideally it's somewhere out of the America's Cup regulated area, past Pier 23 I think.

I'm hoping to watch at least some of the 2013 Louis Vuitton Cup from the water, and I want to spare my guests the 20 nm beat from the South Bay. Despite having daysailed from the South Bay for a while, I've never actually closely approached the City, and I have no idea where to do this. There's a bunch of emptyish floating docks around, but all the ones I've seen are locked up.

I'm sure this is something an experienced cruiser would know how to do, but having never tied up to anything other than a floating dock where I was expected, it seems a little intimidating.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook