SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cool tow vehicle for my trailer-sailer!
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Cool tow vehicle for my trailer-sailer!

The restoration debate can be endless, without clearly correct answers. Some argue that it is an artifact in its present condition and should not be touched, others argue that returning it to its original condition allows people to enjoy seeing it as others really did when it was new. There is often no clear right or wrong.

One fact often tips the scales. Most things are not as original as they appear. Often one finds that modifications or repairs had been made, even a past restoration, that has long since removed its truly original nature. Wear items, such as tires, brakes, exhaust, etc are very unlikely to be new. Perhaps not even factory replacements. Therefore, what's the difference, if you do it again.

I did notice the phone number for the CG and thought they didn't even have area codes in the 1940s. I then googled the number and found its the correct number, even today. I'm guessing the lettering didn't go on all that long ago. ******correction..... I just looked it up and learned that area codes first started in 1947 and Florida was one of the first. However, their first area code was 305. The 352 area code on this vehicle wasn't issued until 1996. This lettering is very recent******

Either way, owners call. It is a very cool collectible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 06-27-2013 at 07:14 AM. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook