SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying to be prepared for the inevitable hurricane
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying to be prepared for the inevitable hurricane

All of the above! If you are lucky there is a hurricane hole you can move to.

A comment on chafing gear. You can buy chafing sleeve by the foot at the marine store. It isn't cheap. I buy two sizes so I can put the first directly over the line and then insert line that is covered by the first sleeve into the second sleeve. Doubling the sleeve is very effective. I secure both sleeves by sewing them in place to the lines at their ends and make sure they generously overlap the areas where they might chafe. I prepare both sets of lines this way. I build and have the second hurricane "harness" ready to go complete with its hardware so installation on the mooring is a straightforward task. The second line is longer and larger than my regular mooring line.

This is for our Islander 28 which has a bridal that is attached to two deck cleats.

We have a 15' Marshall cat that sits on a mooring, too and doesn't always get hauled for severe weather. It has a single deck cleat and I double its lines in a similar way. In addition to the lines on the Marshall I hang a long piece of heavy chain from the bow eye to the swivel on the mooring. I have reinforced the bow eye to handle this. The chain is a fail safe but really acts as a damper to reduce the motion of this smaller boat.

Mother Nature is in charge!

Down