SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solomons, MD Marina
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: Solomons, MD Marina

Here is something I wrote last month to someone coming up the bay.

Number 2 as you head up the bay would be a stop in Solomons. The tiki bar and a trip to the ice cream shop on the boardwalk would be a nice side trip. Other suggestions would be to visit the musuem by the lighthouse. I use to liveaboad at the marina(Beacon Marina) and the dock had a birdseye view of that lighthouse and the museum. During the summers there are some major bands that play there about once a month. To get away from the crowds, take a sail under the bridge up the Patuxent River. After you go around Pt. Patience make a left into Cuckhold/Mill Creek. As you enter the creek, Cuckhold will go to your right while Mill will be to your left. Anchor in Mill Creek and dinghy to shore where there is a little sand beach. At least there was one about 5 years ago. I've tied up the dinghy there and hiked/ran the trails there in the small park. Early in the morning I've come across a half dozen deer as I ran the 3 mile trail loop. One other stop up the Patuxent is St Leonard Creek, good deep anchorage with some nice views. Vera's White Sands restaurant about 4 miles from the entrance was always an interesting stop and she was an interesting woman having been some sort of starlite in the 1930's. She has long passed away and not even sure if the restaurant is still in operation. It had palm trees surrounding the restaurant and many decorations from her trips into India and elsewhere. I'll just mention one other side trip and that is a trip to visit the Sotterly Plantation which has guided tours. I've anchored in St Leonard's Creek and taken the dinghy out of the creek and across the Patuxent to the Sotterly warf(almost directly across from the St Leanoard's creek entrance) and tied up the dinghy and walked about a quarter of a mile up a dirt road to the plantation. Worth the trip
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook