SailNet Community - View Single Post - 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

I do hope the family dont read this thread. I know they are reading others on the net.

I have a rule which I hold very strongly and I offer it to those about to cruise as a rule they should set in stone. Everything about cruising, or sailing is pretty flexible really, do things the way you like and the way they work for you.... except this rule:

Only sail in the correct season.

I use the Pilot charts and basically only ever sail when there is a 1 or a 0 in the % Gale maps. The most I have ever sailed in was a 2 for about 100 nms.

I hope this incident works out and the boat arrives in harbour soon. However, there is some story to their long passage... and most likely related to their late departure. The late departure was due to replacing the engine. They should have waited till next season.

The Pilot below is June. Ninas course was from the east side of New Zealand, over the top and due west to Newcastle just north of Sydney.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture_001.jpg (65.8 KB, 155 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 06-27-2013 at 03:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
INMA (06-29-2013)