SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Setting Woes
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor Setting Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Mark, what is the size of your boat again? And what is the size of your chain and is it standard or proof coil? I will be cruising Mexico and am re-thinking my ground tackle. I currently have a 35# Delta Fastset, 40’ of 3/8 proof coil chain and 250’ of 5/8 rode (nylon 3 strand). I also have a kellet. My boat is 34’ and fully laden for cruising will be about 16,000#.
My boat is a Beneteau 393, 39 feet, 11.62 m, 7.5 tons light and 8.5 tanked.

the chain is 10mm wich is similar but not exactly 3/8th inch. I dont know what standard or Proof coil are... but its the 'normal' chain that most boats get of that size.

I would keep the Delta but add as much chain as you can afford. I havent actually used more than 80 meters any time (260 feet) but its nice to know I have as much as I possibly can.

The 40' and 250 rode would be good for a kedge anchor because its light enough for setting by dinghy. For that anchor I would just get a kedge, so it can be a smaller Delta etc.

By Mexico you mean the west side? Sea of Cortez etc? I havent been there but I understand the anchoring can be quite deep. Thats similar to the Mediterranean where 25 meters water depth is common (80 feet water) now thats a lot of chain you want. If you dont have it then you are more restricted to parking the boat, maybe missing a great anchorage.

If I had oooodles of money I would be getting a Manson Supreme for the main anchor (or whatever new generation is currently winning in the anchor threads!)

I tried a Kellet (bucket of concrete) in a hurricane and it did bugger all good. It popped up like a ping pong ball and was just a twisting mess when we swung around. Useless as boobies on a bull. The weight of the kellet is only about 10 feet of chain anyway.

So now I keep stuff simple: 1 anchor, one long chain, one snubber

Hope this helps

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 06-27-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
cman (08-05-2013)