SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I make this trip as a novice
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I make this trip as a novice

I don't know if this trip has happened yet, but I will chime in and say you should have another hand on board for this trip. It sounds like challenging waters in a new to you and unknown older boat. Even if you have more experience I would suggest crew for this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Let us review the OP's qualifications:

" I have crewed on a Hunter 34 on a Port Huron Mac race and done a couple seasons of club racing as crew. I owned a 18' hunter for a few years. Pretty book smart and all that, just not alot of experience driving my own boat. "
Crewing on a race boat is no way a good qualification for really sailing a boat. This is not to say people racing sailboats are incompetent but being a bowman, on the mast or in the cockpit does not teach you a thing about the overall skills it takes to sail a boat. I actively race and am often amazed at how little some of the excellent crew know about the boat outside their position. Neither does sailing an 18 foot outboard driven tiller boat even solo teach you to handle a inboard powered keelboat.

If you are going to do it solo you should spend a few days sailing with the previous owner onboard "single handing" while he watches. It would be much better realizing what skills you lack with someone else onboard rather than enroute solo.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook