SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Back in 2004 had Alan Pape draw up plans for a nearly flush deck cutter with a pilot house/half house aft. Small cockpit. Rudder hung on gudgeons/pintles with a tiller. Went as far as to go to the local voc school and learn to use plamsa cutter and the three welding styles. Had a Miller in the basement for years. Wicked fun "pulling a puddle" and so different then my day job. At this point think above 40' Al still can make a lot of sense and >50' steel isn't a bad choice.
If someone dropped a huge bag of money on me would think about a 50-60' ketch in monel. No through hulls just standpipes. Have it compartmentalized fore and aft with integral tanks to make it in effect double hulled in the middle. Maybe Bob would like to draw it. Radius chine or at least soft chine.
Lary Pardy once told me his" Dream boat" would be copper nickle, no fouling and zero mainenance. I suggested he first ask Winston how much maintenance he does on his steel boat in a year before justifying the expense. My boat is an hour or two maintenance a year.
I once sold a set of plans to a guy in SE Asia who planned on building her in Copper Nickle. Some boats in Britain have been built out of the stuff.
Self antifouling. Very expensive.