SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Search Widens Before it Narrows
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: The Search Widens Before it Narrows

I have started my own search, which is still in the early stages, and as I work my way through the choices in hull, keel, sail configuration, motor, and everything else I narrow and widen and narrow again. In the end what I buy will have to be a compromise on all the features that I want in order to get what I need in a package that I am willing to spend the money to get.

I spent an hour on the phone with the broker I trust on this earlier today, he and I have been working this out and we were discussing a couple of boats he is recommending, which are currently priced about $40k above where I want to be on price, but we both believe that this is going to go down a lot. I was looking at one, which recently sold, the original asking price was $75,600.00 and it sold at $15,000.00 a $60k difference in the price. My question to him is how that could possibly be, and his answer was that the seller was not in tune with the market and he finally got in tune with it. If you saw the boat you would be amazed that it went for that low of a price, and yet that is the state of the current economy and market, now that makes me nervous, because I hate to overpay for anything LOL.

Look, research, and when you find one do like I said in the other thread, offer a much lower price, and it will probably be accepted.

If anyone doubts, as some always do about the boat I am referring to they are welcome to PM me and I will send the link that shows the price and the original asking price. It was a very nice looking boat, but I have no idea as to what hidden monkeys may have been in the barrel to effect the overall price.