SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coskpit floor leak on 86 PSC 37
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013

granche1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Coskpit floor leak on 86 PSC 37

Hey guys thanks for the input. I tried tightening the bolts but that did not really help at all. The leak is not one that could threaten to sink the boat. The problem for me is that salt water rains down on the motor. Not so much a problem when at the dock, but it is nice to be able to throw a few gallons of seawater in the cockpit every couple weeks while cruising. We will forgo that luxury on this next segment until I can get some gasket material. Today I unbolted the floor and pushed it up a few inches to scope a peak at what might be in there and found nothing! No gasket and no sealant. I am thinking to put some foam weather stripping in there similar to what you would use between the bed of a truck and a shell. Bolted down tight, it seems like it could do the trick. I am hoping that I can get this done without removing the pedestal and steering cables. It was a bear, but I was able to push the floor up without disconnecting anything. I imagine that this water leaking in has been going on for years but I have just never been in the "engine room" while the cockpit was being washed. I have noticed salt deposits in there in the past and only now figured out their origin.

Thanks for the help and if anyone has any better ideas I would love to hear em.

Grant

s/v Viandante
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook