SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013

melody1204 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

While the economy certainly took its toll on everyone young and old, and probably a large part of the reason fewer people may be cruising, I think we'll see some changes in the next few years, and perhaps more young people cruising.

For one, I think more and more people are realizing the American Dream isn't what we once thought it was. It's not necessarily owning a house or driving a nice car or even having the perfect job. I think people are realizing that personal fulfillment and happiness is worth more than "owning" (or rather owing money on) a house. Not putting down anyone whose dream it is to own a nice house. Just saying that now it's a more personal choice and not necessarily the concept of the "American Dream" anymore.

Secondly, I think the biggest reason (to date) that more young people aren't out there cruising is because of a lack of disposable income. The older cruisers we've met are living off their savings and retirement. What young person has that kind of cash? However, with the advances of technology, that's changing.

I'm 37 (which by "cruising" standards is pretty young) and I work full-time from the boat, working for the same company I've been with for 6 years. Having the ability to remain connected to wifi via our Verizon hotspot has singlehandedly saved my job and one of the primary reasons we're able to continue doing this, since we don't have a big nest egg or retirement fund.

More and more companies allow telecommuting and I think because of that, more people will realize the potential that this kind of flexibility can bring. No longer are the days of sitting in an office with no windows. Now my office can be the boat, it can be the beach, it can be a small cafe.

I think in a few years the capability of remote access will have a bigger effect on people getting out there and fulfilling their dreams than the economy had on stifling those dreams.

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
~ e.e cummings
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook