SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Setting Woes
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchor Setting Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
.....then hold full reverse wide open throttle.....
I've never gone to such an extreme on any boat, although, I don't object.

However, sHP is very different from boat to boat so that different hulls have enough power to be driven to hull speed. But I scratch my head on this one. When pulling against a set anchor, is the drag of the large hull an issue any more? Does the strength of a 30hp at full throttle pulling against and anchor differ greatly from the 100 hp turbo diesel I have?

My instinct say it does.

I know that a larger boat requires more holding power, so testing it at higher loads makes sense. But my instinct also tells me that that curve required to hold a heavier boat at anchor is more linear than the curve requiring power to overcome the drag of a larger hull underway.

All the better if one could hold at WOT. I'm sure I could pull my crappy CQR out of anything at WOT, but that's not the point. I'm just curious if the WOT test is consistent from one boat to the next. Just trivia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook