SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Setting Woes
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Anchor Setting Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

All the better if one could hold at WOT. I'm sure I could pull my crappy CQR out of anything at WOT, but that's not the point. I'm just curious if the WOT test is consistent from one boat to the next. Just trivia.
Most sailboats do not have the HP, in reverse, to replicate even a 30-40 knot storm. In my opinion any anchor should be able to hold you in up to 60+ knots. If one of my anchors can't hold me at WOT then as far as I am concerned I am simply not properly anchored/set..

Our boat can develop 500-800 (digital load cell confirmed) pounds of reverse pull at WOT (44HP 4 Cylinder Westerbeke with three blade Campbell Sailor).

Our Rocna 35 has been shown in numerous independent tests to hold in excess of 5000 pounds or to exceed the test equipments capabilities.... I have personally pulled it at over 2500 pounds in a very, very soft mud bottom with a 450HP twin screw 30 foot Mako. If our Rocna can't hold the strength of our motor in reverse, at cruise or WOT, then I have other issues...

Your boat has a bigger engine but should also have a bigger anchor and much more windage. Your anchor should ABSOLUTELY hold your vessel firm at full reverse throttle. Don't baby your anchor and you'll sleep a LOT better......

I we can't hit cruise or WOT in reverse we don't consider our anchor "set"...

The storm below whipped up a few nights ago in just a few minutes. The video is about 8 minutes long but shows nearly the entire duration. It happened so fast I never knew it was coming.

*It went from flat glass calm to a recorded gusts of 60 MPH in about 5-6 minutes. (I assumed 35-40 knots but the YC dock house recorded 60 knots)

*It swung our boat 180 degrees on her mooring (how is that "settling" working)...

I had stopped by our boat to grab my FLuke clamp meter and got distracted answering emails. I was below for about 4 minutes when I noted the 180 degree swing and rain beginning. I grabbed my camera and popped my head up into the dodger.

Every time we anchor we are anchored with this sort of event in-mind. We got stuck in a micro burst in the late 90's that put all but two boats on the rocks in the anchorage we were in..

Nothing like a good storm on the boat!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-28-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook