SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

omc saildrive

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  mad_machine 
#1 ·
hello, i recently bought a mirage 27, i love the boat for the look ,comfort ,easy to sail, but i was told recently that the moter(omc saildrive 15 hp) is garbage,to me it runs great, has anyone had problems with this moter? is it reliable? thanks.

#4 ·
No experience with the sail drive part of it but it is my understanding is that the motor is a de-tuned version of the 25 & 35 HP outboards. I had a 1985 35Hp 2 stroke Evinrude outboard which I bought new, just gave it to my daughter. Ran it long and hard, mostly in salt water. Absolutely bullet proof.

Paul T

#6 ·
get a second opinion. Just telling you it is "garbage" is not professional. If there are problems to be worried about, you need them spelled out so you can make an informed decision on what to do. It sounds like some mechanic wants to make few thousand replacing it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.