SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013

elspru is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
uuuuuh, most young folk dont have that kind of time or money. I'm in my fourtys and with halfway decent job making around 70k I barely have enough cash to get a 40 year old boat.
And forget about crusing. I might be able to afford a week or two off. How does one even acess their money while crusing. Or pay their bills for that matter?
The only way I can imagine that you are spending 70k without enough left over for a boat, is because you have an expensive car and/or expensive house or even other huge debts. Or possibly just a lot of frivilous expenditures, like fast-food, restaurants, parties, consumerist goods etc.
Typically for world-cruising and things people just have their boat, and at most some cheap land-base somewhere, with minimial to more likely no debt at all.

Paying bills is easy enough with online payments. Accessing money is similarly easy, though any ABM can give you cash if needed.

If you were really serious about cruising, then you'd get a portable income.

Quote:
I'd have to somehow make a grand a week and get it back into my direct deposits so the bills get paid. Not an easy thing to do for most of us. If you are well off enough to do the cruising thing you are luckier than you think. Throw a million bucks in my bank and I'm there.
me my spouse and child somehow have more than enough money, making much less than half of what you make a year.
So it's really not about how much you have, it's about how you use it... as many things in life ;-).

Last edited by elspru; 06-28-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook