SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspru View Post
The only way I can imagine that you are spending 70k without enough left over for a boat, is because you have an expensive car and/or expensive house or even other huge debts. Or possibly just a lot of frivilous expenditures, like fast-food, restaurants, parties, consumerist goods etc.
Typically for world-cruising and things people just have their boat, and at most some cheap land-base somewhere, with minimial to more likely no debt at all.

Paying bills is easy enough with online payments. Accessing money is similarly easy, though any ABM can give you cash if needed.

If you were really serious about cruising, then you'd get a portable income.

me my spouse and child somehow have more than enough money, making much less than half of what you make a year.
So it's really not about how much you have, it's about how you use it... as many things in life ;-).

Nah I at first thought that too- but what if he is a father of three kids and putting them through college? There goes 30-40K right there.
Or he could be taking care of his elderly mother and so having to pay RN's to come in two or three times a week to provide care.
Perhaps he or a family member has a medical condition or disease- You know how expensive medical care is in the US even with insurance.

We should not judge what we do not know.

If however none of these scenarios apply THEN perhaps he should lower his expenses and focus on better ways to stretch that 70K which to me seems like a million bucks from my 15-20 k on average income.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook