SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

On banking while cruising. What you do is set up one bank account as your main account, you set up two other accounts, one with a Visa debit card and one with a MasterCard debit card, you will need both of these because depending on where you go one or the other will not be accepted. You manage your money via online banking from your main account funneling money by transfers in lumpsums into the others as needed. The reason you do this is to protect your main account from possible fraud, and to have funds available on both the others.

Personally what I have done in the past was to buy some travellers cheques and use them in some cases and the debit cards as needed for paying clearance fees, customs, zarpes, and so forth. I used travellers cheques whenever I was paying marina fees and to exchange for local currency in banks. You will have to declare any cash or travellers cheques you have on board in your safe, and you need to be VERY careful about not allowing people to see you pulling out cash. Also, be aware that in many countries there are highly skilled pickpockets, some are small children, they come up and are extremely friendly, and when they hug you or brush up against you they take your wallet. Some of them can take your Rolex off of your arm so skillfully that you will not notice it until you go to look at the time...by which time it is too late.

Having said that, you will also meet many wonderful people and you will see many beautiful places, just make sure you are friendly but vigilant at all time. Not every child you meet is a pickpocket, not every person who motors close to you in a skiff is a pirate or scouting for pirates who will come later. Some are, and you need to keep your belongings secured at all times, try not to be one of those morons who is flashing his wealth in a place where your watch is worth more than most people earn in several years time. Awareness of your surroundings at all times is not just for while sailing, it is good practice and common sense on land or at sea. Plus that once you train yourself to be alert and aware you will be amazed at how much in life you have missed, simply because you were not paying attention.

I wish you all good fortune and pleasant hours of peaceful sailing and memories of the places you visit.

Mark