SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013

peoples1234 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspru View Post
The only way I can imagine that you are spending 70k without enough left over for a boat, is because you have an expensive car and/or expensive house or even other huge debts. Or possibly just a lot of frivilous expenditures, like fast-food, restaurants, parties, consumerist goods etc.
You don't really know anything about his situation, or how he lives.

70K in the Metro DC are will get you an apartment in the ghetto and just enough to pay back your student loans in 15 years.

I don't know where he lives in Michigan, but 70K might just be squeaking by. The point is you don't know either.

Maybe he could do things differently, maybe not.

I know it costs a **** ton for me to live in the DC area, but it beats being unemployed somewhere else. I am young (27) and the only reason I can sail on a half way decent boat is because I went in half with my dad. Otherwise, I wouldn't be sailing in something big enough for my family to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook