SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommendation for running rigging lines
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommendation for running rigging lines

Novatech XLE is overpriced for what it is.

It has very high stretch compared to XLS or Sta-Set. It isn't much cheaper than either of them. It is no cheaper than Samson LS, and yet still has more stretch than that.

I pay attention to stretch first since most lines are already overly strong for their needs. We size more based on what is comfortable to handle and works well on winches than what is necessary for stretch. Otherwise I could run 1/4" XLS Extra as my jib sheets and it would be plenty strong.

The main sellers of Novatech line try to disguise the stretch characteristics to avoid showing you how stretchy it is. You can find the real information here:
XLE Performer | Novabraid

5% stretch at 20% of breaking strength. To put that into perspective a halyard on a 40' mast with 10' of line on the deck going back to the mast (a typical setup for a 30' boat) 20% is 2.5' of stretch.

Comparison stretch numbers are 2.6% (LS), 2.2% (XLS), 0.8% (XLS Extra), 0.6% (Warpspeed), 2% (Sta-Set), 1.8% (Sta-Set X and VPC).

XLE does have some applications. Main sheets that aren't run to a winch will rarely see high loads and are way oversized for comfort. You could use it there. It would also work okay for short lines like traveler control lines. However in those short applications it isn't that expensive to use higher quality stuff.

As far as I'm concerned Cajun Ropes is outright lying when they compare XLE to XLS and Sta-Set.