SailNet Community - View Single Post - Small boat single handed hoisting
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Small boat single handed hoisting

When I had a tiller steered boat, I would leave the shock chord rigged tight across the cockpit the entire time I was sailing. When I wanted to leave the tiller I would take a couple wraps around the end of the tiller and it would be held by friction. The neat thing about this is that you can make small precise adjustments by twisting the wraps a part of a turn around the tiller end. You can make a small twist and then watch what the boat does and either live with it or tweak to your heart's content.

Another thing is that you can shift your weight to steer the boat. You can learn to do this by setting the tiller to steer a straight line on a particular course. Then try steering the boat by moving your weight across the boat. It is amazing how effective this is on smaller boats, so much so that it is how I steered my 28 footer when on the foredeck jibing the spinnaker pole single-handed.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook