SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question for Chesapeake Sailors
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Question for Chesapeake Sailors

The prevailing winds this time of year are moderate to light and out of the south except when punctuated by afternoon thunderstorms. In a normal year, this season of year, there will be few conditions where you would be able to sail on a boat like a IP 27. The IP 27 is a very ill suited boat for the Chesapeake. But that is another story.

That said, coming out of Rock Hall and wanting to entertain a teenaged new sailor, I would head south west for Annapolis. It would be a beat so at least you should be able to maximize the apparent wind if there is any breeze at all. Usually, there is a little more breeze south of the bridga and at mid-day better breezes along the eastern shore , and better breezes on the western shore in the mid to late afternoon.

You might then jump from Annapolis down to Galesville on the West River. [Edit- I just reread your note that you only have two days and one night cruising. Forget the West River]

From either place will be a long, hot motoring trip home unless you luck out with a 'blue norther', which can still happen this time of year and which would provide a bit more wind and cooler conditions.

I would normally have suggested the Magothy but it was absolutely packed last week when I was up there and many of the creeks are packed with moorings making a protected anchorage very hard to find.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-28-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook