SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question for Chesapeake Sailors
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Re: Question for Chesapeake Sailors

Thanks jeff (and everyone),
I am looking to buy a cruiser and I just hadda charter an Island Packet. I am looking at an IP29 and an IP31.
I wish I could charter several of the boats I have looked at like a Sabre 36 or some of the other affordable (for me) cruisers.
One of the frustrations I (and others) have had is that in order to buy a boat you have to sail in many to see what you like....but it is hard to find someone to let you crew on a boat you are interested as I do not live near the water - am 2 hours north of the Chesapeake.
At any rate, I am planning on moving back to south florida so I want to get a boat 28-35 feet that can cruise coastally up and down the coast, in the keys, cross the Gulf to the Bahamas and back. I am not crazy about cruising boats that heel alot--the boats I have been on in the ocean were heavy and did not heel that much (Dufour Gib'Sea 50, Pearson 50, Island Packet 32).
I'm nearing retirement and am seeking a safe, heavy, tub and am not looking for sailing thrills, chills, or spills.
Plus, I need to get a boat 50K or less.....
So, that's why I am chartering the IP27 because it is an inexpensive mid-week charter and I can add it (or cross it off) my list of boats to experience as I shop.
Any input is greatly appreciated always! I love the water, I love to snorkel, I love seafood, I love the sun.....been searching for a sailboat that I could live on with my wife for months at a time. I need to charter a smaller cruiser (like the IP27) to see if it is TOO small or just right- size wise and my ability to single hand-it-wise. Okay...now I'm rambling..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook