SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downside of living aboard
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Downside of living aboard

Ha! I knew this would be a great thread.

Silvio - thanks for the kind words.

Captain, Doug, Tardis, Tim and Philzy: Great posts!!

I had one other thought as I just got back from walking the dock. Why in the world would ANYONE want to live on a sailboat that doesn't leave the dock?? For Gawd sakes, go get a houseboat for that. It will be just like living at a condo on the water, complete with fridge and stove and all that... go get one of those. Sailboats are the tightest of all boats. They are best suited for living aboard (a broad generalization) over many motor boats I see, with the exception of most trawlers. But in general, if you aren't going to leave the dock and want a home on the water, get a house boat.

Dear friend of ours raises her daughter on her house boat. It will never leave the dock. Doesn't have to. She got that boat from a bank auction (less than 10 years old) for like 6000 or 10000 and everything works. It is very spacious and comfortable. She bought her a little sailboat to take her daughter out sailing in. It is perfect!!

That makes more sense to me than buying some busted up old wreck with a mast to live aboard on, thinking you will fix all those problems. Sadly, that is what I see the most of... and here is what happens (just last week, three slips down):

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
D3vildog (10-25-2013)