SailNet Community - View Single Post - Young liveaboard after Navy
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013
Gone Sailing

NeilAW is on a distinguished road
Re: Young liveaboard after Navy

I am currently AD(active duty) Navy. I have saved enough in three years to out and out buy a 30' or so boat, and then some for renovations. Not enough, however, to pay for slipfees/electricity/amenities that most want/need. Joining the Navy has been a great thing for me. I get good pay, great benefits, and meet wonderful people(some not so wonderful perhaps). But even with all this, you still need a plan for a post Navy career. With all the resources that the DoD provides these days, you have to have a real lack of motivation/will power to need unemployment post service. If you want to serve, serve, but I can tell you form experiance, those who are in it for the benefits, usualy hate their 4+ years.

My 2c

Neil
Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off – then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook