SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Downside of living aboard

56K views 160 replies 70 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
I've been perusing various liveaboard blogs, and one thing I notice, is, several months in, the blogger sells their boat and moves back on land.

Bc of this, I wondered why that is.

One common thing it seems, is that most failures involve derelict boats. You know the sort, engine doesn't function, the inside is rotted out, the thing leaks like a sieve, electrical causes all sorts of damage, etcetera and etcetera.

Another thing I've noticed is that, when these bloggers start out, they are full of excitement. They spend the first few months working on their new old boat. At some point, they run out of money, energy, and/or time. So, they throw in the towel and move shore side.

The most interesting, imho, thing, is that the majority seem to focus upon making their new old boat pretty, as opposed to functional. Or at least, non-sinkable, non-leaky...

As most sailnetters are aware, lots of people show up, ready to live the dream. I was one of them a year and a half ago. Imho, the failures are those with arguably, unrealistic expectations. Mostly in the financial area, it seems. But also in their perception of what the dream is.

This leaves me wondering, what percentage of people who move aboard stay? Also, what is the most common reason for failure?

Anyway, just curious. That, and, I figure it wouldn't hurt to have a thread discussing the "downside" of living aboard. Not to crush anyone's dream. Rather, to put some realism back into the equation.

See less See more
#34 ·
Couple endorsement of the above.

1. If your boat isn't equipped and prepared to sail, there is no point living aboard an actual boat. Get a houseboat.

2. You should equip your liveaboard like it was your home. Do you like air conditioning a home? Some do, some don't.

3. The not too big, not too small discussion is good too. Again, do you need to sprawl out at home or are you comfortable in a studio apartment. Different strokes for different folks.

As far as maintenance goes, if I have to drop an unexpected few grand on the boat, I may be annoyed at the expense. However, I then immediately want to get out and see if it sails better. I've never replaced a driveway, roof, landscaping or furnace and given a damn about giving it a whirl.

#37 · (Edited)
get what you want. try almost everything . many who do not continue find their dreams and their realities do not mesh well......
some tried with too much derelict in the boat.....
some donot realize it is not an easy life, altho is simple living.
if you really want to do this after living on wtf, go for it----hell, go fo rit anyway. see where you really are--many forget they have to bring themselves along with them when they seek new lifestyle, and it goes down hill after that....
i have lived on board everything--good bad and ugly since 1990.

i love it--i am cruising.
i liveaboard everywhere i am. anchored or in marina. only in marina for summers and furycames.(off season)

oh and i dont write blogs for the most part--i sail and live.

life so rocks. this life rocks even better than just living.....
just do not carry expectations of land living. it aint gonna happen. you must work harder for everything--which is good.

#38 ·
A hard shot of reality ... we sold the house in 93' and moved on to the boat we already owned. We owed nothing on the house and carefully tucked away the cash from the sale for the day when we could no longer live aboard.

2.5 years ago my wife became ill and just last month got to the point where she simply could not get on or off the boat. We just rented an apartment and the boat is up for sale. In the 2.5yrs of illness my income was cut by 2/3 as my time was taken up in various hospitals and taking care of my wife and we have spent over $150k in drugs with no end in sight. (don't believe everything you read about free Canadian health care).

The lesson ... plan accordingly. I thought we had another 15yrs on the boat.

Please don't respond with commiserations, I don't need pity. This is just a word to the wise about covering your bases.

#39 ·
Love this thread! Now, I'm going to say this up front, I'm a newbie. I purchased my boat 8 weeks ago. In that 8 weeks I spent 2 weekends sleeping on the boat, worked on the boat fixing things 4-5 times a week and have now been a full time live aboard for 1 week. It has been exactly what I had expected that it would be. I love it! I'm one of those that does have a full time job, doesn't make a ton of money and was realistic about how much care (work) would need to be given regularly. I'm the type of person that often takes things apart just to see how they work. Also, I can fix just about anything with a spoon and bread bag twisty (duct tape is an easy way out). Living on the boat has been perfect for me. Not to say that I haven't learned a few things, this is the funny part.

1. I have smacked my head on the boom at least 30 times and have the bloody scabs to prove it. (I just saw another boat had swung their boom all the way to port to keep it out of the way, brilliant!)
2. The fresh water will run out when you least expect it. For me it was during a shower and covered in soap. It was a good laugh when my neighbors watched me rinse off on the dock with a hose (feeling like an idiot!).
3. It's a long walk to the marina restroom, just to find it occupied after that bad burrito catches up with ya.

To me, and maybe my dizzy, bleeding head is in the clouds, but it's all about your attitude and determination. Like Bob says " Don't worry, about a thing, every little things gonna be alright".

#44 ·
Buy as big as you can afford............/QUOTE]

I can see some merit in this plan, but I always live on far less than I can afford. I've kept the same cheap boat for almost thirty years. Living on far less than you can afford leaves you with a great discretionary income!

#47 ·
There's a teacher at the university I go to who lives on a Haida 26'. More power to her.

There are many downsides to living aboard, sometimes I wanted to chuck it all and never see another boat, I sold my first liveaboard as it was too cramped(literally, the berths were too short). It cost me a tremendous amount of money, I started with the biggest risk factors and worked from there.
Now, I'm re-grouping and getting ready to hopefullly do it again once in a couple of years, with a bit roomier boat, and a bit more learning.

Going in blind, and expecting the kind of minimal maintenance that people give their cars leads to problems. I prefer to think of the boat as a small city, or essentially a fiberglass/metal/concrete filled with individual but related systems that all have finite lifetimes, with the timers already running. replacing them sets the timer on a given system to 0, and maybe changes how long it's good for, but that timer starts again as soon as the system is brought online.

#48 ·
Big is better but never be owned by your processions. Two heads. One electric. Separate shower. Two full staterooms. Hydronic heat/cool.two frig freezer systems. Enough alternative energy sources to not be gen set dependent. Enough fuel water to live off grid for more than a month. Splendid and osmosis.
For us 46is just right. Everything powered but can run it by hand should the need arise.

#52 ·
This sounds like a very liveable set up!

You know something(?), recently at our marina in Boston, there have been quite a few super mega yachts showing up. For instance a 184 ' Perini Navi named Salute. And other likewise huge boats.

Well, I bring this up to try to put things in perspective. Some people seem to have a self imposed "cut off" of 30, 40 or 50 or maybe as specific as 42 feet vessels that they think they can handle.

All those boats are basically in the same general ball park when compared to these super mega with helicopter pad boats. I know I could not handle one of those without a full crew. And I would support anyone saying the same thing.

But, when someone actually thinks they can handle a 35 but not a 55, I just have to laugh.

Which again brings me back to my mantra, buy as big as you can afford. That extra 10 - 20 feet, within our general range of vessel, will be more pleasure than pain, especially if you will be living aboard.

And only tell me you "can't handle her" when you're looking at something with a helicopter pad! :)

#51 ·
Due to a recent split-up, I moved aboard my Pearson 30. I was prepared to live aboard for a few years, but for reasons I won't bore you with, it ended up being 5 months. I don't know if that makes me less qualified to comment, but I'll do so anyway.

I was perfectly happy and comfortable. I rode out Hurricane Sandy, I had air-conditioning during the end of summer, and enough heat when winter came.
I had no hot water, and fresh water was hand-pumped. I kept a 5X10 storage unit on shore, for my meager possessions that I didn't want to keep on the boat.

The boat was constantly sail-ready, always tidy. The only evidence that I was living aboard, was the mini-fridge and microwave oven tucked away in the quarterberth.

I am keenly aware, that my mode of living would have been too spartan, too demanding for many people. I served on submarines for 11 years, so for me, this was perfectly adequate. My dockmates were great people, they had (and still have) a great social scene. I would have been happy there for an extended period of time.

I have a strong background in electricity, electronics, plumbing and gasoline engines. I have some knowledge of composites (epoxy, fiberglass), so I was mentally well equipped for liveaboard life.

In my opinion, the most common reasons for liveaboard failures, is that they simply don't do the research, and are not prepared mentally or materially.

Tardis told me about the clueless newbs at her dock that nearly sunk their boat. I was properly sympathetic until she told me that they have no interest in learning, or avoiding a repeat of the situation.

Next time, I say let it go to the bottom of the slip. When these turds come home and find all their worldly posessions underwater, maybe they'll hear the "pop".

#59 ·
Everyone has different wants/needs and tolerances.

I was living in the Boston area when I decided to live aboard and already had a Pearson 30 which my girlfriend at the time said was way too small. I got the message!

Aside from good storage I wanted a separate stall shower, a rectangular bed, good tankage and an aft cockpit for under 100K. It also had to be manageable single handed.

The Pearson 424 did all that and so that’s what I went with. It was a great choice (for me).

I also spent some time in the submarine service (7 years) so had no problem adapting to the environment.

#61 · (Edited)
What I really like about this thread, is that unlike the "just do it" threads, it encourages planning, knowledge ahttp://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/living-with-phytic-acidnd skill acquisition before getting a boat.

It's a great reminder, since there is repair and maintenance saturdays at the yacht club I'm at so can partake and learn requires skills on other peoples boats, so can do it with relative ease once we get our own boat, while helping them with their boats now. It's also good karma or manna for later when maybe someone will help us repair our boat.

I especially like that cruising blues article, it is very reassuring, since we love nature, the waves, sun, stars and shorelines, as well as being together all or most of the time. It's also a curious article as it describes the kind of confrontation that happens on any hermitage, when a person must face and come to terms with their inner selves,
as I went through that process years ago on a hermitage it's fond memories of tough times. My heart was really racing at those beautifully scenic descriptions of the waves and the weather.

Our Zen calendar for July says "We can never make peace with the outer world, until we make peace with ourselves" - Dalai Lama
I really take it to heart.
And so have made peace with Sabbag's relentless promotion of large boats, especially since I recently saw this faboulous video of a multi-generational family living aboard, cruising the carribean for over 2 years doing missionary work, can't tell how big but I'm guessing a 50 footer.
I'd love to go sailing/cruising with multiple generations, or an intentional community, doing missionary work also sounds like fun. Like the old adage goes "many hands make light work", so can make maintenance on a large boat manageable.

#62 · (Edited)
Im looking for a boat but am 6:4'' and in fife, do the marinas take housing benefits does anyone know ? or conversely is there anywhere with a comunity , I must have a community as im a t.i. a targeted individual of gang.stalking. of which 7 million websites exist. I would like to meet other t.i.'s jon in fife.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really excellent observations. I have only been living aboard for a few months, but the one best piece of advise that was given to me was to keep realistic expectations..of yourself, your needs, and the boat. I live simply, but I live well. My boat is my home, but it is a boat first and foremost. Basic maintenance and safely come before beautification.

Unfortunately, I see many in my marina that see their "boat" as purely a cheep means of living. They don't sail, they know nothing about their boats, and know absolutely nothing about basic maintenance. A few weekends ago, once such boat took on over a foot of water while the owners were away. Many of us rushed over to bail the boat out. When they returned, I started asking them basic questions regarding through hulls and other possible areas of ingress. They just looked at me like I was speaking Greek. There is no excuse to not have a basic understanding of your boat, especially when it is your home.

Speaking to the financial bit, many people are lured into the dream of living aboard thinking that it will be cheap. Boats are a constant project, especially for us with 30+ year old boats. I love working on mine, but I find sensible ways of doing it. Down in Annapolis there is a fantastic store that sells used items. Without them, I wouldn't be able to afford to work on my boat.

I don't want this thread to scare away any potential liveaboards, it can be a really wonderful and rewarding lifestyle. But it is important for people to do their research and understand the ups and downs. And above all, be realistic![/QUOTE]

#63 ·
I want a livaboard but am 6:4'' and live in fife. so head rooms a problem, are there any marinas which will take housing benefits ? Also ; is there anywhere one can live free on board?
I would need a community as im a targeted individual of gang . stalking of which there are CURRENTLY 7 million websites.. any t.i.'s out there who wanna start a liveaboard community please get in touch 07967 525 857 jon in fife .

#67 · (Edited)
bubblehead, after all those years in subs, how did you manage not to get agorophobia on a 30 footer? Kept to the lazarettes and v-berth? (G)

jon-
You might mention the UK up front, your questions and phone number would come across as most peculiar to this mostly Colonial forum. And if you are being pursued by gangs, posting a phone number on a public web site of any kind is generally a very bad idea.

#68 ·
My 2 cents:

I have been living aboard a Columbia 28 for over 5 years, I say that because I can't remember how long is been without pulling out my boat title ;). At the time 28ft was all I could afford. Every now and then I dream about going larger, until I start doing the math and decide that I don't need to take out that boat loan. These are the struggles that I have had:

1) Space for "stuff" - If your a pack-rat you will never make it.

2) Air conditioning / Heating

3) Refrigeration - I used an ice box for years, I was never happier than when I broke down and installed refrigeration

4) Ice - Who knew?

5) Hot water - Still working on that one

6) Shower - This is what will finally push me to a larger boat

#69 ·
Every now and then I dream about going larger, until I start doing the math and decide that I don't need to take out that boat loan.
Although I've only been aboard for a year and a half, I have and do sometimes dream about going larger, and have repeatedly reached the same conclusion as you. Even though I've created a "what if" budget that says, yeah, you could afford to take out a loan on that larger boat, I admittedly prefer to be debt free.

Now, if I had it to do over again? That is, picking the boat? Or rather, picking something as small as a 27 footer? That's a tough one. I think most expand to the space they live in. So, to my mind, bigger primarily equals more room for more stuff, which I really don't need. And sure, newer boats are pretty... eye candy wise. Otoh, my boat *feels* like my home. And of all the newer boats I've checked out, well... am sure they would too, eventually...

But for now, I love my funky little sailing home. Though, I am putting money aside in the event I stumble upon another boat that speaks to me the way this one did... while at the same time, I have decided to invest more seriously in fixing this rig up... already knowing it's money that won't be recovered, should I decide to trade up.

#71 ·
I see repeatedly unrealistic expectations... if I've heard once I've heard a dozen times about how the newbie is going to pull into the tree lined anchorage "drop the anchor" (and I've seen a danforth THROWN!) then kick back and open a brewsky. Really?

It's only been 5.5 years on this boat but I've yet to have that relaxed state of affairs though with the new engine (installing this coming week) perhaps I'll have more reliability. Yet most folks think that this is all easy, sunsets in paradise, cool breezes, full water tanks, and ... oh yes, the biggie: being welcomed into an anchorage after a passage -- forgetting that almost everyone already made that same journey and your accomplishment is just "one of many"

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...

#72 ·
huh.
guess I'm doing it all wrong.
been sailing since I was 10 or 12 I guess,can't really remember. knew living and traveling by boat was my calling all along. The mistake I made was listening to others who could not understand that lifestyle. therefore they all discouraged me by telling me it was unrealistic and that I was foolish and would eventually grow up and realize that it was not possible or sustainable.
So,I spent years trying to conform to a land based existence,always feeling unfulfilled.
I tried all the " normal " stuff,college, army,trade school, working a job, small bussiness, volunteer, etc.
Always feeling lacking, empty, unfulfilled and as if I was wasting my life by not following my original dream.
always coming back to the water.
finally I stopped listening to others and followed my desire to be on the water.
first w/ a ******** then a series of sailboats, having figured out that motor boating was not economically within my grasp for the long run.
Every boat I ever acquired was either a boatyard cast off or a distressed vessel. the most I ever paid for a boat was $2000 my current boat. I've sailed and lived aboard my current boat w/ my family since my daughter was 2 or 3 she will be 10 come January,it's about all she has known.
we do have a house, cars,trucks, motor cycles, etc. and we have lived aboard in marinas when gainfully employed at 9-5 jobs, but mostly lived on the hook and dingied to shore and bicycle.
rowing and bicycling has probably kept me alive as b4 I made the change I was unhappy, and weighed almost 400lbs.
now I'm much happier and a good bit smaller!
Another advantage is I've had the chance to spend almost every day w/ my family and we got to see a perspective of the east coast of the US from Tampa to lake Erie, few get to see from a sailboat.
now we're back in Florida for the winter at the house and the only downside is we're not aboard.
The upside is we know what works for us,and look forward to working through a few things to get back aboard asap.
I now have a port in Florida, one in the Chesapeake in VA. one in NY. and soon one in MD.in the Chesapeake!
it's taken me a while to figure out what works for me/us, but we're doing it. for that I thank the lord unceasingly.
We strive to live simply, and stay focused and not be distracted by the shiny things that can rob us of our goal.
As for the vessel size, it's 32'CC only because we started w/ 4dogs and a 2yr old. I was quite happy w/ the 24' if not for the dogs, I would have kept it. the dogs have since all passed away and are planted along the east coast now. but I doubt we'll change vessels as it's paid for and after all the miles quite familiar.
As for systems and such. the further we sail, the less we need. manual water pumps, no pressure hot water and I'm considering getting rid of the washer/dryer,although I do enjoy the frigerator and icemaker! and solar has proven very dependable.
we have never had insurance but could if we wanted it's a couple hundred dollars a year for liability and a survey is NOT required through progressive (which is who we use for house, car,bike, etc)
the first trip up and down the coast we got a towUS unlimited but never needed or used it,except for piece of mind.
it's taken us a few years, but we've figured out what we like and more important, WHERE we like. I think that is the most important aspect, determining your likes as finding the places and people that you enjoy.
For us it's out of the way quiet small places for longer staying, and.
occasionally a week in sailing friendlier bigger places like Annapolis, Tampa, NY. but the traveling is the best.
I wish I would have figured it out earlier in life so I could have had more time to enjoy it,but I'll take what I got,and am thankful for it
One last thing, the longer I live it,the less I feel compelled to share what I have learned, sadly I feel I need to keep some things a secret so that others don't come along and ruin some of the aspects of the quiet, friendly, uncrowded places we like the best.

#73 ·
I hope you all can find the boats, people and special places that you enjoy, as life is a one short-term no do-over opportunity.
One of the last conversations I remember having w/ my grand father was of the adventures he had in his 96 years. I'll never forget what he told me.
he said of all the things he'd had the chance to do,his single regret was only that he didn't do more of it.

#74 ·
The way to avoid failure is to sample it. Don't get married after one date.

The longest period we spent on any boat we owned was 13 weeks, and at that time it was a 52ft and nicely fitted with everything you can think of. About week 11, I was ready to get off, enjoy the amenities of living ashore (endless showers, no anchor watch for my house, no weather planning, no ferrying supplies by dingy, etc, etc) and dare I say enjoy going to work (not that you cannot work and live aboard too).

We love to sail. We cruise many weeks each year. We day sail whenever we can. We go south and charter in the winter for a week or 2. Every time I get on the boat, I'm happy and excited to sail and cruise.

We're not cut out to be live full time on board. The older I get, the more creature comforts matter.

I have friends that have lived aboard for 10 years, sailed west coast to Australia, now heading Panama to Europe. Older than us, but they love it. To each their own.

Our advice, at least go out for a long cruise (months) before you commit to the lifestyle. It's not what you think it is, and it maybe great for you, maybe not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.