SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downside of living aboard
View Single Post
post #27 of Old 06-28-2013
cranki

Re: Downside of living aboard

My 2 cents after living aboard in the northeast for exactly 1 year.

First, it is cheaper than owning a house which also requires plenty of work and money to maintain. Second, at least around here it is cheaper than renting a decent apartment. Southern CT is one of those above the average cost of living areas.

I bought a roomy, older boat (1976, 41' Tartan TOCK) that had a lot of work done to it and still needs more. Yes you need insurance and surveys. I had to replace my fuel tank last fall and then get it surveyed for insurance but I knew about that going in. There is electrical work to be done... I have a short in my interior lights that is eluding me. You definitely need to be willing to learn your boats systems and be self sufficient and able to fix things. To me that is a big part of being a sailor, or a boater. The bigger the boat the more systems and the more complex they will be so bear that in mind. The older the boat the more those systems will break down. Bear that in mind.

Winter is hard. Especially last winter.

I try to keep my boat ready to sail. I can be stowed and ready to cast off in a half hour but after a fall and winter of the boat being a floating condo it took me a good 2 days this spring to get her to that point.

I moved aboard after my divorce and bought the boat for that purpose. It was a dream of mine when I was younger and seemed to make some financial sense. I have an older Pearson 30 that is for sale and I never really considered her as a live aboard.

I am comfortable and gaining confidence as a liveaboard heading into year 2.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome