SailNet Community - View Single Post - Binocular Conundrum: Field of View?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Binocular Conundrum: Field of View?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I have been led to understand that 7 times magnification is best for sail boats but now with image stabilization higher magnifications are better.
As Auspicious says, then one needs the wider lens to let in more light.

If you are thinking about a new pair you might want to look at the extra $$ for stabilization and see if you think its worth it.

I realise neither of us are really addressing the issue at hand but methinks you are making a good point.

We recently purchased a pair of Canon 10x30 stabilised and am quite convinced of their advantages. Went 10x30 as they were a good entry point dollar wise to the world of stabilised but almost certainly will go up a size or two when/if we buy a second pair. I loath almost every Canon product I have ever bought except for their cameras, thankfuly the binos seem to meet the camera standard and not match their lousy printers. ymmv. I'd think that something around 10x50 would be exceptional.

Cheers

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook