SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
As I suggested in the wooden mast discussion, I soaked a bit of fir in a very salty brine for a week, dried it out then glued it together with epoxy. The salt had zero effect on the strength of the glue line, that I could detect. Commercially available wood preservatives leave an oily surface, which no glue can stick to.
That quote summarizes your approach. Based on a highly unscientific one off test (no empirical data), and what fir, grown where, how old, salt solution for how long, penetration through material, breaking strength, glue, drying time, etc.

Based on this myth You'll probably start arguing that this is the only safe way to build wooden masts - I sincerely believe You're dangerous to your clients, as you have demonstrated here that you have NO (Nil, zero) understanding of material strength but subscribe to the "I hit it with a hammer so it must be strong" theory.
"The salt had zero effect on the strength of the glue line, that I could detect.", funny.

Sorry that I'm bashing you too, but this is plain stupid..

/Joms