SailNet Community - View Single Post - My own mooring on L.I. Sound?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: My own mooring on L.I. Sound?

Hey,

You definitely don't want to keep a boat of any significant size or value on a mooring in the sound (as opposed to a harbor). When we get wind from the north or east the waves can get pretty large and nasty. There are some private moorings just east of Mt. Sinai, so they definitely exist, but I have never seen boats on them full time. Two years ago I got yelled at by a homeowner because I had the nerve to anchor off 'his' beach while my kids and I went swimming and had lunch. First he yelled because I was on his mooring. I pointed out that I was anchored. Then he yelled that I was on 'his' beach. I pointed out that he didn't own the water, or the land below the high tide mark. The rest if another story.

If I were you I would pick Mt. Sinai or Port Jeff. Personally I like Mt. Sinai because it takes just 5 minutes to get from mooring to sound. For a town resident the fee is around $120. You can get mooring tackle from Old Mans or Ralph's Fishing station.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook