I finally got started on making my windows! I am fixing up a 1983 Starwind 22 i scored for free last fall.
The window frames and windows are cracked, leaking, and covered in silicone by the previous owners failed attempts to stop the problem.
First, I pulled the interior trim to make a template:
Then transferred it to some cheap plexiglass I picked up cheap at Home Depot:
I cut everything on my new toy:
Using the scroll saw is an art in itself, especially when cutting on an angle to bevel the edges. It has a variable speed for the blade. Turn the speed up too fast and the acrylic melts back together as the blade passes thru... I'm starting to get the hang of it...
I'm over sizing the new windows to allow for a proper contact area for the adhesive to bond to the hull with substantial strength. The bottom picture is a shot to show the old window size versus the new for comparison:
I have some rough spots to clean up on the first window, but it came out pretty nice. The nice part is, I'm getting the hang of it quickly. The thicker the material, the harder it was to cut on the scroll saw with a professional edge. I'm using a blade specifically for cutting plastic with a high number of teeth per inch of the blade. I'm pretty excited to finally get going on this. More to follow, hopefully soon!