SailNet Community - View Single Post - 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 06-29-2013
Omatako

Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Im inclined to think that this boat being so long as well as old simply broke apart from serious wave actions. I read the boat was excellently maintained but its still 80a plus years old and i assume made of wood.
Mmmmm - seems to me that wooden boats last longer than you think. Auckland has regular regattas for vessel that are well over a century old and are still stronger than the average Beneteau. There was very little carbon fibre to be found back then.

This one is about 80 years old - built in 1934 - although this picture is probably less than a year old

Comment on the website:

One of the original J Class trio, Endeavour like fellow yachts Shamrock V and Velsheda, is in continual development. The 77 year-old yacht was relaunched on 10 October 2011 having just undergone a major 18-month refit at New Zealand yard Yachting Developments, which included work to the yacht’s interior, deck strengthening, a new winch package, a new mast and sails.

Hardly worth spending millions on a boat that has a short lifespan.

As far as news reports here in Auckland I don't believe that any reports have been received from the Nina but then maybe journos are keeping it quiet - why ruin a good story?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome