SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making flush mounted acrylic replacement windows
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 06-29-2013 Thread Starter
Smier

Re: Making flush mounted acrylic replacement windows

I appreciate the words of advice! You are correct about the silicone not sticking if there is any residue from old silicone. I am prepping for some gel coat repairs on the the deck, and will be painting the entire deck as well. Hopefully I shouldn't run into that issue by the time I get to the point of mounting the new windows!

I will be using Dow 795 to install my new windows, if anyone is interested I have lots of links and info as to why I have chosen to go this route, even a video or two of others installing some kits that are available. The main reason I have gone this route is simplicity. I'm not planning on using any screws to mount the windows, so there's only one possible failure point the sealant/adhesive joint between the acrylic and the fiberglass. I also love the clean look that this method creates. I chose the Dow 795 because of it's ability to allow expansion between two different materials which allows it to maintain a good bond as the two materials expand and contract at different rates.

1980 Compac 16
1983 Starwind 22 w/pop top
Trailer-sailing our way from Pennsylvania to Ontario Canada and soon the Chesapeake Bay!!!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome