SailNet Community - View Single Post - racing rules question narrow channel
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013

Peter06420 is on a distinguished road
Re: racing rules question narrow channel

The best strategy would have been to duck if you couldn't cross. that would hav put him at the disadvantage at the next cross.

But, if you tacked & got down to close hauled _course_ while the other boat was clear astern, (providing, of course that you allowed him the opportunity to keep clear - e.g. your track was to leeward of his, not right on his bow) then you had the right to luff him up (again, allowing him the opportunity to keep clear)

If you hail for room to tack, the other boat has 2 options; tack immediately or respond "You Tack!" & give you room. Failing to do either is a foul and warrants DSQ.

It has nothing to do with your previous tack into a lee-bow or clear-ahead position. the protest is about rules, not good or bad strategy. You had every right to tack in mid-channel as long as he could keep clear and you don't foul him before getting down to close-hauled.

However if you tacked and _immediately had to hail for room to tack, well, that _is_ questionable and risky. However, I know of no rule that says how long you have to be on that tack to qualify for room to tack.

Assuming he was windward or astern, His putting hands on your boat was a subsequent foul and also warrants DSQ - or taking turns.