SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Setting Woes
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchor Setting Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I thought crevice corrosion was something that happened to stainless steel in an anerobic environment, not galvenized steel.

Good thing there are no bolts in your current setup to worry about.... you DID get that chain/anchor splice made up without having to use a shackle right?

MedSailor
Alright, wiseguy..........

First, I thought the bolts were stainless, even on the galvanized anchor. Can someone confirm? Second, I said OR inspect them regularly.

The threaded clevis on the shackle is a good point. I do inspect mine and it is right on top of the deck to do so. Those anchor bolts would require you to pull the anchor up on deck for the same access, which would be a pain for a larger anchor. Plus, I safety wire the threaded clevis on the shackle. I wonder how you can know the Mantus bolts can't back out.

Now listen, I'm not trying to bash the Mantus Anchor. Sounds like it performs well and it really seems to make sense as a disassembled backup. I'm just not loving the idea of the bolts on permanently deployed anchor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook