SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downside of living aboard
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013

Dauntless Brent is on a distinguished road
Re: Downside of living aboard

Love this thread! Now, I'm going to say this up front, I'm a newbie. I purchased my boat 8 weeks ago. In that 8 weeks I spent 2 weekends sleeping on the boat, worked on the boat fixing things 4-5 times a week and have now been a full time live aboard for 1 week. It has been exactly what I had expected that it would be. I love it! I'm one of those that does have a full time job, doesn't make a ton of money and was realistic about how much care (work) would need to be given regularly. I'm the type of person that often takes things apart just to see how they work. Also, I can fix just about anything with a spoon and bread bag twisty (duct tape is an easy way out). Living on the boat has been perfect for me. Not to say that I haven't learned a few things, this is the funny part.

1. I have smacked my head on the boom at least 30 times and have the bloody scabs to prove it. (I just saw another boat had swung their boom all the way to port to keep it out of the way, brilliant!)
2. The fresh water will run out when you least expect it. For me it was during a shower and covered in soap. It was a good laugh when my neighbors watched me rinse off on the dock with a hose (feeling like an idiot!).
3. It's a long walk to the marina restroom, just to find it occupied after that bad burrito catches up with ya.

To me, and maybe my dizzy, bleeding head is in the clouds, but it's all about your attitude and determination. Like Bob says " Don't worry, about a thing, every little things gonna be alright".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook